Johnny Kitagawa and the Jimusho is one rich enterprise.
Based from reports posted at Tokyo Hive, the Jimusho earned 113Million dollars–and this, for only eight months in 2010.
Taking the top spot is the SENPAI of all senpais: SMAP!
Incidentally, I am so in love of this SMAP commercial:
I don’t know what was I thinking–but each time I see Takuya Kimura, a light goes off my head and this message kept on flashing “MatsuJun in 10 years! MatsuJun in 10 years!” You have to give it to KimuTaku as he morphed from reed-thin idol to a deliciously talented man in his later years. And much, much respect should be accorded to these guys for still being up for it when it comes to really corny choreography.
The great thing with SMAP is that they’re really great friends. I mean, they spend almost half of their lives together! I remembered seeing an old clip where their 6th member Katsuyuki Mori bade farewell to SMAP to be a motocross racer. They were really crying and at loss for words. And even to this day–in some of their shows or guesting–they still refer affectionally to Mori.
It was also SMAP who made the Jimusho rich when they finally hit gold in 1993 following a lackluster debut. SMAP never looked back ever since–hitting it big not only in Japan but also the rest of Asia.
Here are the rest of total Album/Single Sales, by Group (as of September 2010), in order. My Stormy boys ranked third (yey!!!).
1. SMAP: 32,286,502 Total Sales (21,833,294 singles, 10,453,208 albums)
Debuted 1991 (19 years) : 45 Singles & 25 Albums Released
2. KinKi Kids: 24,675,385 Total Sales (16,911,103 singles, 7,764,282 albums)
Debuted 1997 (13 years) : 29 Singles & 14 Albums Released
3. Arashi: 16,642,487 Total Sales (11,933,216 singles, 4,709,271 albums)
Debuted 1999 (11 years) : 31 Singles & 12 Albums Released
4. V6: 12,059,970 Total Sales (8,747,984 singles, 3,311,986 albums)
Debuted 1995 (15 years) : 36 Singles & 15 Albums Released
5. TOKIO: 8,190,922 Total Sales (6,679,131 singles, 1,511,791 albums)
Debuted 1994 (16 years) : 43 Singles & 16 Albums Released
6. KAT-TUN: 7,413,518 Total Sales (5,600,066 singles, 1,813,452 albums)
Debuted 2006 (4 years) : 12 Singles & 5 Albums Released
7. Kanjani8: 4,264,517 Total Sales (3,429,865 singles, 834,652 albums)
Debuted 2004 (6 years) : 15 Singles & 4 Albums Released
8. NEWS: 4,141,318 Total Sales (3,376,496 singles, 764,822 albums)
Debuted 2003 (7 years) : 12 Singles & 3 Albums Released
9. Tackey & Tsubasa: 1,956,238 Total Sales (344,913 singles, 611,325 albums)
Debuted 2003 (7 years) : 10 Singles & 4 Albums Released
10. Hey! Say! JUMP!: 1,369,052 Total Sales (1,371,200 singles, 186,501 albums)
Debuted 2007 (3 years) : 5 Singles & 1 Album Released
One Reply to “Johnny rakes it in courtesy of the boys”
Is that just earnings from record sales or across the board (dramas, variety shows etc)?
I’m surprised V6 are so high, I didn’t realise they were so popular.