NAIA Terminal 1 Arrival area is depressing

This is Seoul’s Incheon International Airport

This is Changi International Airport (Singapore)

This is Chek Lap Kok International Airport (Hk)

Beijing Airport (China)

Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (India)

And do you know what this is?

This is not some bus station from a far-flung barrio somewhere in the Philippines. This is the Arrival area of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Terminal 1). And to say this place is depressing, annoying and uncomfortable is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Picked my sister up yesterday from the airport and I was simply revolted with what I see upon entrance on the arrival area.

The place reeked of bad smell due to the sheer number of people concentrated in the barricaded area. Outside the barricaded area is a row of depressing looking stores selling OVERPRICED drinks (35 bucks for a can of 7-up), paging service cost 5 bucks per pop (you have to call in from the outside using the phone from one of the stores manned by a surly looking girl in bad eye make-up) while touts and taxi henchmen man the exit area, competing for innocent passengers. In one of the areas, some stupid, uncouth person lost his whole lunch on the barricaded area, filling the place with his vomit and the annoying smell that goes with it. Television screens flicker, announcing arrival schedules of incoming flights. In one of the supposed metal racks suspended in the air, a television set is missing, leaving a trace of dust and grime.

Again, my tax-paying sensibilities are insulted. My taxes from my freaking hard-earned money goes to this?
Can this government freaking not do anything RIGHT for once? We have the expansive and the solitary, not to mention PROMISING NAIA 3? why can’t we use it? The place is screaming for passengers, used it more than enough and I can say that it’s about that international flights are transferred to the new terminal.

To put it bluntly, nakakahiya na ang Terminal 1…puwede bang gibain nyo na yan? I can’t understand why this government wants foreign visitors to see this depressing sight. As they say, FIRST IMPRESSIONS LAST. And I say that the old terminal is not exactly the best way to make a good impression.

And my dear fellow Pinoys, what’s with us meeting arriving family members in flocks? As in lolas, lolos, anaks and even young kids all crammed up in that dirty, depressing and smelly area. Is it in the Pinoy psyche that we must send off and welcome incoming family members by bringing the whole barangay? It would have been great if we have a nice, comfortable arrival area at the airport but with the mess that we have, can’t we at least limit it to 3 family members the most? Kids are freaking crying, getting lost while the moms are scolding, pinching and threatening in various levels of annoyance.

Speaking of annoyance — I suggest that the airport management take a look at cab drivers parked near the departure area. They are misleading passengers and charging obscene amount for just a short ride.

How do I know? We’ve been stupid enough to get duped last night.

21 Comments Add yours

1. Wel Familia says:

Yes, I share your sentiments. I just went home and everything seemed to be worse than before. Sad and depressing

1. lanilakwatsera says:

Sad right, considering that our past administration has all the money misappropriated on useless projects
      How can we lure tourists if our airport looks like a bus terminal in a god-forsaken province from somewhere???

2. janzy says:

Thanks! I really appreciate this blog.. we have to address this problem to our corrupt government officials HOY GISING na kayo! wer really far behind from other countries as to cleanliness…discipline..technological advancement/enhancement kailan pa ba mapuno yang pockets ninyo????? We’ve been paying taxes huh….

3. Oh dear, this is precisely what I dread. Will be picking up my husband in a week and bringing my 5-yr-old son along.

Hope the Aquino administration can do something about NAIA 3. With only domestic carriers using it, it is grossly underutilized.

1. lanilakwatsera says:

If you’ll pick him up at NAIA 3 or the Centennial Terminal–then fret not. Cos these terminals are waaaay better than the Terminal 1.
      If you’ll be picking him up at NAIA Terminal 1….whoa! all I can say is good luck to you and take care.
      Just always remain cautious of the surroundings and take care ok? šŸ™‚

4. just weep ur sentiments and lots of that too.. again sorry to hear this, but some Filipino remained to be graft not only officials but even from simple janitor or guard.. don’t go to car rental who wave you with their hands or get your luggage to go to their area because some of this were hustler in dealing money.. they will overprice your taxi fare and told you that this is car rental rate.. some will tell you numerous words to go to their car rental and they will also you know get some padulas…..just like tip not only for the driver but for themselves also… just beware to this people.. go to trusted car rentals with receipts not edited and car rental with a name…

1. lanilakwatsera says:

I know. It’s just a shame cos I believe the airport is the first place which our guests/tourists will see when they visit the country
      But with a pathetic looking airport, execrable CR and the devil’s minions masquerading as taxi drivers — i begin to worry for my country!!!!

Thanks for visiting šŸ™‚
      appreciate your thoughts…

5. shanonok says:

nakakalungkot napahiya ang ating bansa but meron din naman tayong naia 3 at 2 dibah at maganda din ang airport sa davao city at sa cebu atmb.

6. colonel guile says:

Kaya madaming sumusundo sa mga umuuwi nag aabang ng pasalubong naninigurado na hindi sila malaktawan.

1. lanilakwatsera says:

Ahahahaha! Ayun oh! šŸ™‚

7. fizzywoohoo says:

Lanikun…I’ve been inside Terminal 2 & it’s pretty nice looking. Swerte ni PAL kasi for their own use lang ang Terminal 2–dati Airphil used to be there as well. Eventually, Airphil moved to T3 and my ex-officemates say it’s pretty nice looking as well…even nicer than T2. Cebu Pac dun na din but I’m not sure kung may International flights dun.

Because of my Korean addiction, I’ve taken to watching Korean News as well on Arirang…man, inggit ako! They really spend money on making their country green and earth friendly!

1. lanilakwatsera says:

Also take note F that currently the SK International Airport is ranked among the Best Airports in the world, though Changi and Chep Lap Kok is currently slugging it out on who really is the best.

I am really praying that international flights from international carriers will finally be transferred to T3. T3 is so nice, airy and NEW! Hehehe!

8. Pecos Kid says:

The saddest part is that Filipinos can’t even be best at having the worlds worst airport.
    It’s only rated at the 2nd worst in the entire world. Trying to fix it is like putting lipstick
    on your pet pig for a beauty contest.

1. lanilakwatsera says:

Hi. While the airport is really down in the dumps…I don’t think we’re aiming for the worst airport in the entire world. It’s a distinction you can prolly have if you want to. Thanks for visiting my site, but there’s no need to insult my country.

9. Ishmael says:

NAIA looks very terrible. compared to other airports. this looks like not even close to be called an airport. removing the planes etc. this will look like a fish market. Im going there in 3 months and i think we have to pay travelers tax or something and terminal fee.

10. web page says:

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you
    really recognise what you are speaking about! Bookmarked.

Kindly also visit my web site =). We could have a hyperlink trade contract between us

11. Justina says:

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words
    in your post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.

I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something
    to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d
    post to let you know. The style and design look great though!
    Hope you get the issue solved soon. Thanks